Shelf bras have an underwire, but a very small lower cup that does not cover the nipple.
Good style for:
- Firm and self-supporting breasts.
- Breast sizes smaller than a D cup.
- Looking braless while having some support.
Not so good for:
- Settling and pendulous breasts.
- Large breasts needing support.
This bra style can also be called a “chopper bra.” Apart from being extremely titillating to men, smaller breasted women can wear shelf bras in place of a bra if they want a “natural” look, but without the sagging. If you want to go braless, but secretly wish you had some support, a shelf bra is the answer.
A shelf bra is also the name given to an additional piece of fabric with elastic sewn along the lower edge that is then sewn inside a top for additional breast support. This added fabric acts like a sling to give your breasts added support.
Shop HerRoom for great shelf bras.